The Scholarship and Emergency Fund are in honor of Melquain Anderson’s legacy. They are meant to help students struggling with academics, finances, and living through their time in college. John Jay students can apply for the Scholarship or Emergency Fund on the College website. Other students can apply for the scholarship through materials listed here. If you have questions, please email us at email@example.com.
- Students can be entering or continuing undergraduate Sociology majors
- Students can be part-time or full-time at John Jay College
- The Emergency Fund is specifically for students not in good academic standing, with a GPA of 2.0 or under. Students not in good academic standing, with a GPA of 2.0 or under, are especially encouraged to apply.
The Emergency Fund can cover the following expenses:
- homelessness due to loss of housing;
- travel for illness or death in the immediate family;
- overdue utility bills;
- temporary loss of job due to medical problems or care obligations;
- medical appointments and procedures not covered by insurance;
- food and transportation needs;
- loss of textbooks, clothing, computers due to theft or damage;
- and loss of childcare.
The Fund does NOT cover legal representation, more than one emergency, or non-essential expenses.
Students must submit
- completed application, with a personal statement;
- an email of a recommendation from a faculty or staff memeber; and
- a copy of their FAFSA.
Our Scholarship Recipients
Joshua J. Bagley, Buffalo State College
Safiya Jones, Miami AD School
Winie Clairjeune, John Jay College of Criminal Justice
Armani Coward, University of Massachusetts-Boston
Janiya Davis, Clark Atlanta University
Patricia Griffith, University of Massachusetts-Boston
Xavier Hardy, University of Massachusetts-Boston
Bryanna Simons, University of Massachusetts-Boston
Camryn Singleton, Claflin University
Genesis Zuniga, University of Missouri-Kansas City
Rashawn Christopher, New York City College of Technology
Kaitlynn Gaston, John Jay College of Criminal Justice
Diamond Muller, SUNY Fredonia
Josue Petion, SUNY Fredonia
Solamon Quigley, SUNY Fredonia
Dalia Turner, Fairleigh Dickinson University